Remember the time when your mom made every occasion special for you – from your birthday to Friend’s Day to Children’s Day? Well, now is the time to make her feel special with your Mother’s Day ideas.
Remember how you used to be usually prepared for the surprise, and yet she managed always to do something so special that your day was made. That is why you need to do something extra for her this time, apart from of course baking a Mother’s Day cake for her.
Your Mother’s Day celebration idea has to be so out-of-the-box that it should send the message to her – You are the greatest mom in the world!
So here we explore some ideas that will make this Mother’s Day a memorable day for your mom.
And then we top-it-up with the recipe for a delicious Mother’s Day cake – but we shall come to that later.
First up – some exciting Mother’s Day ideas
This Mother’s Day, you can do many things that would make her feel special.
Apart from preparing breakfast for her and the must-do stuff like spa bookings, sending flowers, clothes and gifts, you can do things that would be real surprises for her.
- In between her work and taking care of the house and you, if she has been unable to focus on her health; you can gift her a three-month membership of a Zumba or Yoga class.
- If she still hasn’t been able to catch Avengers – Endgame, you can book tickets for a show – but only if she is a VFX and Superhero film enthusiast.
- Many women leave their passions and unfulfilled dreams halfway through due to their career and household responsibilities. If you know about those that your mom had, you can think of ways to fulfil them.
Gift her a canvas and a set of painting brushes and colours if her passion was painting. Find out the contact number of a theatre group where she can continue with her passion for acting.
A contact number for a book publisher for her collection of poems, a short course in graphic design and animation, or simply an introduction to a group into hitchhiking – anything that matches her passion is an exciting Mother’s Day idea.
- Arrange a surprise reunion with her school or college friends. Organise the party very discreetly. Whether it is at home or at another venue, make sure she doesn’t get to know what’s in store and the surprise is not killed.
- Arrange a visit to her favourite sibling or cousin in a far-off city or country who she hasn’t met in a long time. Make sure she gets to relax well and make pre-arrangements for her sight-seeing etc. so that the host is not troubled at all.
- By chance or by design, if you meet anyone she is a fan of, record in advance a Mother’s Day greeting message for your mom. Request the celebrity to mention her name in the greeting. Play the video on a screen with the entire family around.
- Plan a date with your mom and her mom. Seeing three generations of the family together and spending time with each other would be an exhilarating experience for all of you.
Along with some of these beautiful gestures, you have to also bake a cake for her because, like any other celebration, a cake is a must on Mother’s Day too.
But again, you can do that differently too.
A very special Mothers’ Day cake
The mango strawberry cheesecake!
I know you will say – but cheesecake is not a cake.
So what! The point is, your mom should love it.
The mango strawberry cheesecake contains the goodness of two fruits. You can use fruit pulps for ease.
Recipe for Mother’s Day cake (okay, cheesecake)
Here is how to make the mango strawberry cheesecake.
Ingredients for crust
A pack of cookies or biscuits
- Butter – 1 tbsp
Sugar – as per taste
Ingredients for the cheesecake filling
Mascarpone or Philadelphia cheese – 250 grams / 8 oz
- Sour cream – 1 cup / 250 ml
- White granulated sugar – 100 grams / 1/2 cup
- Cornflour/cornstarch – 2 tbsp
- Unsalted butter – 100 grams / 1/2 cup / 3.55 oz
- Sugar – 1 tbsp
- Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
- Vanilla extract – 1 tsp
Ingredients for the cheesecake compote
Mangoes – fresh or frozen – 150 grams / 1 cup
- Strawberries – fresh or frozen – 150 grams / 1 cup
- White granulated sugar – 50 grams / 1/4 cup
- Cornstarch/cornflour – 1 tbsp
To ensure that your cheesecake turns out well, all the ingredients need to be ready at room temperature before you begin to make your cheesecake.
Ingredients that are not at room temperature can affect the consistency of the cheesecake batter or compote.
Preheat the oven to 150° C/ 300° F.
The pan has to be prepared very carefully.
Wrap the outside of your springform pan in foil so no water will enter the cheesecake while baking in a water bath.
Step 1 – Prepare the crust
Crush the biscuits or cookies and add melted butter. Stir well to combine.
Pour the mixture into a springform pan. Use either the back of your spoon or a spatula to press and flatten the mix.
Chill the mixture in the refrigerator as you prepare the filling and compote.
Step 2 – Prepare the cheesecake batter
Mix cream, cheese, sugar and sour cream in a large bowl.
Add cornflour, vanilla and lemon juice.
Your batter is ready.
Step 3 – Bake the cheesecake
Pour the batter into the springform pan over the crust. Place it on a baking tray on the centre rack in the preheated oven.
Add a cup of hot water to the baking pan outside the cheesecake pan.
Bake it for 40 minutes. Check to see if the cake is baked well. If not, bake it for another 5 minutes. The cheesecake should be slightly wobbly in the centre.
Cool it down to the room temperature as you prepare the compote.
Step 4 – Prepare the compote
Heat mango pulp and strawberry pulp, cornstarch and sugar over low heat until the sugar has melted and the mixture has thickened.
If you are using fresh mangoes and strawberries instead of pulp, you may need to add some water to it.
Mangoes and strawberries are very delicate fruits so do not overcook them, else it will affect the consistency of the compote.
Taste it and check the sweetness of the compote. If needed add a little sugar, mix and cook again. Do this before you think the compote is completely ready, else it may get overcooked.
Cool it down to room temperature before you pour it over the cheesecake.
You can spread it evenly over the cheesecake. However, if you like the drizzle-down look, you can simply pour the compote over cheesecake and let it drizzle from the sides.
You can also serve the compote separately with the cheesecake.
Chill for a few hours before serving.
This cheesecake made with the labour of love is bound to make this mother’s day memorable for your mom.
If you are planning to surprise your mom in a unique way, share your Mother’s Day idea with us in the comments section. We promise to reward the three best ideas with exciting offers on AamRus Frozen Mango Pulp and AamRus Frozen Strawberry Pulp that you can buy here https://www.bigbasket.com/
So happy sharing and happy Mother’s Day in advance!